Friday, March 19, 2010

Aaron is coming home! and Hospital Tour

My husband is finally returning home, after three long weeks of absence. I wasn't expecting him until Sunday night, but I received a phone call from him this afternoon and he said he will actually be home tomorrow! I am very excited to see him again. I'm also excited because this means that the Samoa's that have been taunting me from my freezer will finally get what has been coming to them.

I feel as though Kayla is really starting to notice Aaron's absence, so he's coming home at a great time. She talks more about doing things like her daddy does, or wanting to give things to her daddy or see him. The past two or three days she's had a couple fits that I can't help but wonder if they have something to do with Aaron not being around. After all, she doesn't throw fits under normal circumstances.

Last night I left Kayla with a friend and her children. Kayla had a blast as did the other children, I'm not sure that Kayla even realized I was missing. This was very comforting to me, because now I won't have to worry about Kayla while I'm in the hospital birthing Graham if for some reason my mom doesn't make it in time. I know that she will be well taken care of, and happy to boot.

I left Kayla last night to go on a tour of the labor and delivery ward of the local hospital. I was quite impressed with the facilities. They have all sorts of things available to women to help during labor. They even have a birthing tub for underwater births. I had wanted to do this with Kayla, and it didn't work out thanks to my doctor not telling me that she had given up her rights to the only hospital around that offered that option. I'm thinking that I will have a water birth with Graham.

Water births are becoming more popular. The laboring woman is weightless in the water for one thing so there is pain relief, it is also a more gentle entrance into the world for the new baby. After all, he's spent the last 9 months swimming around in warm water, what better way to enter the world than through warm water until you are cuddled up against your mother's body?

I couldn't be happier to be giving birth the second time around in Germany. They are much less into interventions than their counterparts in the United States, at least it seems that way based on the answers I was given by the doctor last night. We'll see what happens when I am actually in my birthing time. I do know this time around that it's okay to be vocal and tell my doctors what is going to happen and not let them try to scare me into choosing their methods.

I am very hopeful that this delivery will be the way that I visualize it to be. We'll see what happens in 5 weeks!

1 comment: